Re: Where to mount a temporary partition in scripts?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:33:48 +0800
Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:

> My package dtc-xen, needs to mount partitions of the Xen VMs for which
> it's doing the setup. Previously, it was creating a /xen folder, but
> an up-to-date lintian produces an error about /xen in debian/dirs.
>
> Where do you think it's the most appropriate place to do that? I like
> a LOT to use /xen (with /xen/01 /xen/02, etc.) because in production,
> it's very convenient, but I also understand that this is not very
> standard and that it should be changed.
>
> I could use /var/lib/dtc-xen/vps_partitions/xenXX but I really think
> it's too deep in the tree and not easy to use. Maybe I should use
> /mnt/xen/XX ???
>
> Any suggestion for the next upload to SID?

The lintian warning exists for several reasons - one is that packages
don't go clobbering existing user directories. As long as a path is
documented in the manpage and any online Help, a relatively deep path
is usually not a significant problem. I'd go with /var/lib/PACKAGE/ -
at least then you can reasonably expect to have that location to
yourself.

How 'temporary' is the mounted partition? Could it actually go in /tmp
with a temporary directory name (maybe taking the PID of the process?)

--

Neil Williams