debian/prerm is executed on *reconfigure*?

Hi mentors,
hi Dpkg developers,

i could need some help with a bug that has been reported to be in one of
my packages. According to #408823 my package removes a configuration
file when dpkg-reconfigure is invoked. I'm really wondering about this,
because that means that dpkg invokes my prerm script if it is called
with dpkg-reconfigure.

Is this behaviour of dpkg correct? If it is. What do i need to do, so
that my prerm script does not cause harm, when called during this stage?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Patrick