Claiming a binary name used in Sarge but not in Etch.

Dear mentors,

When I created the package amap-align (bioinformatics), there was a
already a program called "amap" in Debian. Therefore, I renamed the
binary program of my package. However, the old amap package has been
removed from Etch, so I would like to know if it is possible to provide
our users the bioinformatical program "amap" under its real name, and
not "amap-align" as it is the case for the moment.

What is the policy of Debian for pacakges which are not released
anymore? Can I Conflict:amap with my package amap-align, and request the
upgraded package to be hinted in Etch ? Importantly, there is little
overlap between the field of usage of amap and amap-align, so I think
that the conflict is unikely to happen in real life. (can popcon be
mined for this kind of data ?).

Also, I think that I should inform users that the name has changed, can
I use NEWS for this ? Lastly, do I have to support the old
/usr/bin/amap-align for some moment, as it was never released in a
stable distribution ? For instance, I can provide a wrapper which issues
a warning.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/amap.html
http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/amap-align.html

Thank a lot for your comments, and have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org