Creating a source tarball for repackaged source using dpkg-source -b

Hello,

the developer reference describes how to do the repackaging of upstream
source.
Among others the following two points are mentioned for the
repackaged .orig.tar.gz:
      * should use <packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig as the name of
        the top-level directory in its tarball. This makes it possible
        to distinguish pristine tarballs from repackaged ones.
      * should be gzipped with maximal compression.

And it is said, that those points can be met, by using "dpkg-source -b"
to construct the repackaged tarball from an unpacked directory.
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz)

How do I invoke dpkg-source to create the .orig.tar.gz file?

I have tried specifying the location of the changelog and the control
file (using -l and -c)
        dpkg-source -b -lchangelog -ccontrol unmodified-source-dir
but this created a file: umlet_7.1-1.tar.gz with an unchanged top level
directory.
I've also tried:
        dpkg-source -sU -b -lchangelog -ccontrol unmodified-source-dir unmodified-source-dir
which created (among others) a umlet_7.1.orig.tar.gz but still the top
level directory remained unchanged.

Help would be appreciated!

Regards Ben

--