Re: adding dirs to be ignored

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:26:29 +0800
"Monty Taylor" <monty@inaugust.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a sensible way to the list of -I options passed to
> dpkg-source?
>
> My tree has SCCS dirs and I would like to exclude them, but I'd like
> to do it in the most sensible way I can...

Any kind of source code control system (CVS/SVN/bzr/git) includes an equivalent of the CVS command 'export' which allows you to separate the code from the control directories / meta data in a new directory. The most sensible way to exclude any such directories is to allow the SCCS to remove the directories for you.

In CVS or SVN you would simply change to an empty directory, export the code from the repository (often with a date of 'tomorrow') and package the results. In CVS/SVN, it is such a common task that Debian includes svn-buildpackage and cvs-buildpackage that are designed to build Architecture: all packages direct from SVN/CVS respectively. The scripts check for locally modified files, export the relevant repository to a temporary directory and proceed to build the Debian package using only the exported data - no SCCS data of any kind is retained, no need to manually exclude anything.

If this is a compiled package, you can also use your build tools to exclude directories and create the .tar.gz for you: autotools has the 'make dist' command which is controlled by SUBDIRS, EXTRA_DIST and other commands in the Makefile.am.

It is normally better to exclude files/directories from WITHIN the package build (whatever process creates the .tar.gz) rather than in the Debian package build. Even Debian native packages can find their way into other distributions.

--

Neil Williams