Re: Choice between ubuntu or brand new package

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:31:43 +0000 David Newgas wrote:
> > > Debian.  It is currently already in Ubuntu
> > > (http://packages.ubuntu.com/kzenexplorer). I created a brand new Debian
> > > package (lintian clean except for lack of a man page) before noticing it
> > > was in Ubuntu.  Which is preferred, a new package or using the Ubuntu
> > > one?  And if the latter, is it simply done by using the Ubuntu
> > > orig.tar.gz/diff.gz/dsc ?

Do what's most efficient for your time.

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 20:42, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > You aren't likely to find any useful conventional wisdom about which to
> > prefer; it will always depend on the individual package.  The same applies
> > for any package which you might adopt from a third party.

Yes, I fully agree with that.

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 18:44 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Isn't having the same package in Debian (unstable) and Ubuntu (unstable) the
> prefered status?

It's individual choice.

I've added a few packages to Debian that were already in Ubuntu.  As far
as I remember (not sure) I always started from the Ubuntu package.  The
reason why I did that was that it was more efficient.