Re: We need an off-topic list (was Re: REALLY OT: News Flash)

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> >   I use mutt in non-threaded mode so I have no idea. :-)
>     So the list should adjust itself to how you read mail?

  A list that the debian organization reccomends for new debian users to go
to seek help should be as accomodating to that goal as possible, including,
yes, adjusting it self to how everybody reads mail. Keep in mind a lot of
these people are brand spankin' new debian users, who may still even be
reading all of their email under windows in outlook express!

> >   IANADD, but I would like to see something get going with this soon... what
> > is the procedure? Does a debian developer "sponsor" the mailing list? Is
> > there some sort of vote that has to happen?
>
>     This too is predictable.  And no, it's not happening.  Doubtful it will
> happen since to move any OT discussion you have to get all the participants to
> switch over en masse.  Furthermore most technical lists that have tried it
> have found a really odd thing.  On-topic discussions on the Off-Topic list.
> Great, now we have to move it all back to the main list, en masse.  Where,
> d'oh, some portions go off-topic again!

  On-topic discussins on an "off-topic" list are fine... it's the other way
around that's bad and could probably be mitigated by having another list.

  It's already been pointed out to me that this is a list specifically for
debian users to discuss whatever they think other debian users might find of
interest, including seeking and providing help. So my position now is that
we need a "debian-help" list that is specifically for technical support.

  And like I said before, either way I'll probably remian subscribed to
both. But I would like to see new debian users accomodated, and encouraged
to keep using the mailing lists and debian itself, not pushed away by a
flood of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with debian.

    - Tyler