Re: Removing self-managed conffiles?

>         This is the beauty of free software. If you find it so
>  frustrating, write up a generic tool, and contribute it. And that
>  would follow the grand old UNIX tradition of each command doing one
>  thing well.

I may be of some help here.

I've written a tool that enable you to extract the information from
configuration files, check the data and write it back.

Of course, there's no miracle. For this tool to work, you must provide
details on its structure (i.e. a model), how to read data (parser,
which can also take care of upgrade problems), and how to write data
back.

Declaring a configuration model (instead of hard coding the behavior)
greatly helps maintenance. The tool I've written also provides generic
user interfaces.

If you're interested in this tool, we can further discuss it in a new
thread (may be in another list).

Cheers

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they