Re: Removing self-managed configuration files?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:13:24PM +0100, Florent Rougon wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> >> I didn't know you were alone maintaining a hundred of packages that need
> >> this particular removal code. Interesting.
> >
> > You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding me. I'll stop wasting my
> > time.
>
> I meant that when a maintainer copies code in its maintainer scripts, he
> *must* read the code carefully and understand it. Therefore, if a
> hundred maintainers do that as you suggest, there is a very high
> probability that most, if not all, bugs are found during the process.

I doubt this.

Additionally, this is a huge waste of maintainer time. Code like this
_BELONGS_ into a standardized tool. Following your course of
argumentation, why not have debhelper removed from the archive?

> And finally, please accept my apologies for having wasted your precious
> time correcting your question (where the use of "conffile" was wrong,

Mea culpa for writing a wrong subject. Please have my posting
privileges to -mentors removed for two years as punishment for this
terrible mistake. Millions of innocent bits had to be flipped because
I wrote a wrong subject over a correctly worded question.

If you find some more efficient punishment, such as force-orphaning
all my packages or having me expelled from the project, please go
ahead.

> and that of ucf not even mentioned),

That was a deliberate omission since the challenge is independent of
ucf. Actually, the challenge is there _BECAUSE_ ucf was not designed
to address this issue (which it actually should) and its maintainer
considers this missing feature a feature.

>  your algorithm (which was missing 'ucf --purge')

My algorithm assumed a ucf-less setup as the issue at hand is
independent of ucf. ucf doesn't help here.

>  and extracting the relevant portion of code from tetex-bin that does
>  what you want.

Thanks for doing so. Seeing that code has reconfirmed my opinion that
this task is so common and so complicated that there needs to be a
standarized tool to handle this issue, and I still feel that the right
place to do this is the tool that claims to be able to replace dpkg
conffile (sic!) handling, ucf.

Greetings
Marc