Re: RFS: ballview - A free molecular modeling and molecular graphics tool

Le Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:46:32AM +0100, Andreas Moll a écrit :
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "ballview".
>
>   Package name    : ballview
>   Version         : 1.2-1
>   Upstream Author : myself
>   URL             : www.ballview.org
>   License         : LGPL
>   Section         : science

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for bringing ballview to Debian, it seems to be a very
impressive software.

There is still some polishing work to be done before somebody can
sponsor, however. Thijs has already pointed at some problems, and I
found a few others:

* Your README.Debian does not contain any information. You can safely
  delete it if you have nothing Debian-specific to say to the Debian
  users.

* Your control file says that the package is released under the GPL,
  while the copyright file says LGPL.

* Your package does not build on iMac G5. Even on the 32-bit ppc port,
  G5 machines use a ppc64 kernel. Apparently, this confuses your
  configuration scripts. For the moment, the Debian buildds for powerpc
  are G4s, but should they become G5, your package would get a
  release-critical bug.

* I am not sure wether you need to specify the contents of the Depends:
  field for the binary package. Depends: ${shlibs:Depends},
  ${misc:Depends} usually does a better and safer job.

* You use python, did you read the Debian python policy ?
  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

There may be more things to say, but I have to build the package
first...

Lastly, did you hear about the Debian-Med project ? Do not hesitate to
contact us on our mailing list if you are interested !

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/
http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/

There is also a list more broadly focused on science:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy