Re: Removing self-managed conffiles?

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:

> Instead of 1,2,3 you could do 1,2,3 only when upgrading from a version
> previous than the one not having a.conf anymore

Sure.

> and in case that (3) happens, keep a.conf untouched, instead of
> renaming it (assuming the program will not read a.conf anymore).

Hmm, I don't like this much, because it contributes to /etc pollution.
There are so many things in that directory that it's often difficult to
know when you can safely remove something that looks like cruft
(especially after dpkg's messages "Non-empty directory 'foo' coudn't be
removed" or so).

So, IMHO, it's much better when the maintainer scripts of the Package
Who Knows tell you that $file can be safely removed (and even better,
give it a name ending in .package-old, as Marc suggested).

--
Florent