Re: sponsors and preferences

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:58:01 +0100
Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:

> Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > People can disagree on things, accept that. More explanation does not mean
> > that everyone agrees with your view.
>
> i don't have a problem with different opinions, but i have one with
> having to repeat things over and over again, so if anyone feels he needs
> to read about the two spaces, he should not wonder himself about it but
> check the ml archive instead.

Perhaps when you request changes to packages that are either
controversial or purely issues of preference, it would be best to
indicate that in the reply? ("I prefer two spaces before 'Homepage:'").

Rightly or wrongly, discussions on mentors are seen as guidelines on
how to package things properly and when you require changes that other
sponsors consider to be optional or even unnecessary, it can raise
queries from the person being sponsored as to whether their own
packages are somehow broken because that sponsor does not require that
particular alteration when another (far more active) sponsor does. i.e.
simply by stating your personal sponsorship requirements, it can look
like these are the requirements for all sponsoring. This is precisely
what happened to generate the earlier email to the list about putting
these optional changes into lintian. The amount of sponsoring you do
means that your actions can be read as the default for all sponsors,
causing hassle for other sponsors who disagree. For whatever reason,
people just don't check the mailing list archive for mentors before
posting.

If you could indicate which alterations are your personal preference,
it would make things easier for other, albeit less active, sponsors.
Just a suggestion.

--

Neil Williams