Re: RFS: podget

Hello Dave,

> It builds these binary packages:
> podget     - Podcast aggregrator/downloader optimized for cron
>
> The package is lintian clean.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/podget/podget_0.5.8.dsc
>
> I would be grateful if someone would upload this for me.

I've checked it out, and have the following comments:

* The package is Debian native, but the software is not Debian
  specific. The customary way to package software that has an
  upstream is to use the non-native packaging, which makes the
  package consist of a .orig.tar.gz from upstream and a .diff.gz
  for Debian. This clearly separates what modifications are done
  by Debian.

  There's a bit of text about this in the FAQ:
  http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

* The upstream tarball contains a debian dir. This is not desirable at
  all; there have been quite some discussions on this list about that.
  Please ask upstream to not release tarballs with a debian dir in it.

  Keeping the debian dir in upstream cvs is not a problem, as long as
  its clearly separate and not in released code.

* debian/docs and debian/dirs are empty, they can be removed.

* debian/rules looks good, but you make a bit of a mix between invoking
  the debhelper tools and doing things directly (mkdir, dpkg-deb, etc).
  I wonder why not use the existing debhelper tools, like
  dh_installdeb ?

thanks for your work!

Thijs