Re: Library sonames and unstable libraries

[resending, because my last message got b0rked]

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:41:27 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> said:

[...]

> Assuming that I want to publish some at least partially useful
> packages (for a start, much of the use will be via python bindings
> rather than linking against the .so) until upstream has committed to
> an soname policy, and made a stable release, would it be acceptable to
> use experimental for this (ie where the package is otherwise
> policy-clean but doesn't have clean soname bumps during the tracking
> of SVN snapshots) or should I stick to having this in my private
> webspace (and losing autobuilding, bugtracking and other bits and
> pieces of functionality)?

I believe that packages in experimental must still follow policy, so you
shouldn't use experimental unless you figure out how to handle the
sonames.  If use will be limited to the Python bindings, you may be able
to get away with making the C libraries private and sticking them in
/usr/lib/mapnik, at least for now.  (And, you would probably skip out on
the -dev package.)

Otherwise, your options are probably to just use your own private
webspace, or make the library into a static library.

--
Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/