Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:33:34 +1100, Robert Collins
> <robertc@robertcollins.net> said:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 01:52 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>> Assumption: all machines that install your package are going to be
>>> running official kernels.  None of my machines ever do.
>
>> No, thats not an assumption. Done appropriately, the ABI data
>> emitted would be done via make-kpkg, and be able to be generated for
>> kernel.org kernels as well as debian 'official' kernels.
>
>         At this point, that is not the case, no? Only official kernel
>  images have the concept of abi  in the version numbering.
>

>         manoj

And how would poor user know what ABI he is generating? That kind of
depends on the compiler used and the source version. make-kpkg would
ahve to combine the gcc used and the source version to make an
consistent ABI. And linux-2.6 source has to reproduce that behaviour
for the xen and xen-vserver kernels as they don't use make-kpkg.

MfG
        Goswin