Re: ITR: varkon (updated package)

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 12:50 -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> writes:
> Sadly, nobody here seems to be interested in this package.

Just goes to show, it's always worth pinging the list. Lack of response
on the first request is not a sign of a lack of interest, just that it
wasn't noticed.

> - the version in Debian is over 3 years old

You forgot to mention the outstanding bugs:
Closes: 387800 419086 438255 453009
Good to see you've prepared fixes for all.

OK. Let's start with a simple review:
(Minor tweaks based on a quick read through of debian/*)
1. Add a Homepage field to debian/control (and use the current URL, not
the one from the old package.)

2. Consider migrating to the machine - intepretable format for
debian/copyright.
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

3. This from README.Debian:
* WARNING!

  Varkon version 1.18A or later is not fully compatible with previous
  versions of Varkon. You cannot use MBO-or RES-files from 1.17D or
  earlier. MBS files are compatible.
should go in NEWS.Debian so that users are warned directly.

4. cp & find in debian/rules should be replaced by proper installation.

5. watch file can be shortened - trim out the blank lines and comments -
but it does work. Good.

Before you go making changes, read:
http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#sponsor

By all means make these changes now, I'll continue with tests and post
another, more detailed, review later on. Don't worry about making
another upload the mentors until then.

--

Neil Williams