Re: Information

Jean-Christian BEDIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish you add a merry xmas ;)
>
> Next a pastebin link for my lintian warning:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m4a6f2da0
>
> Thanks for your help !

First of all use -i or -I when using lintian. It's more verbose and that
will help you a lot.

# W: backup-nas: executable-not-elf-or-script
./etc/backup-nas/backup-nas.conf // Why ? i already add this path in my
conffiles

This is a rights problem IMHO. Don't have a configuration file with
executable rights.

# W: backup-nas: syntax-error-in-debian-changelog line 7 "badly
formatted heading line"

Use "debchange" from the package devscripts (set the env $EDITOR to what
you like) so you are sure not to do syntaxe mistake. In your case
"debchange --create" will do, then you can use "debchange -i" (and
eventually later change the version number manually to match your
needs). Doing it by hand is prone to errors (I never do it any more).

# W: backup-nas: syntax-error-in-debian-changelog line 7 "found eof
where expected more change data or trailer"

Same.

#
# cat backup-nas-0.1/DEBIAN/conffiles
#
/etc/backup-nas/backup-nas.conf

Don't add files in /etc to conffiles, it's done automatically as all
files in /etc MUST be configuration files. And if I'm not mistaking, no
executable is allowed there anyway, only config files (and eventually
symlinks to solve some upstream problems with FSH).

~# zcat backup-nas-0.1/usr/share/doc/backup-nas/changelog.gz
backup-nas (0.1) debian; urgency=low

   * first version waiting for problem

-- Jean-Christian BEDIER <jc.bedier@mymail.com> Mon, 24 Dec 2007
22:38:49 -0700

First, you should make a debian release (so you should consider using
0.1-1 in your change log a debian release version in stead of just 0.1).
 You will need to create a backup-nas_0.1.orig.tar.gz next to unpacked
folder, and this tar.gz should NOT include what's in the debian folder.

Package without a debian release are kept for Debian specific purposes.
If there is a change made by somebody in Debian (and not by you) they
will increment it, so you can track changes. If you are the upstream,
always set this number to -1 and only increase version 0.1. That's what
I do.

Second, don't write "first version waiting for problem" just right
"Initial release". You will write things here only concerning the Debian
packaging itself, and HOW you did to solve the bugs/problems in your
Debian packaging. Things from upstream (your software) should go in the
upstream changelog (that should be included in the Debian package when
you call dh_changelog in debian/rules). Don't forget to write "* New
upstream release" each time you increment the 0.1 part of your version
number.

I hope that helps you and save your time to search in documentations.

Thomas Goirand