Re: Making installation packages

On Dec 24, 2007 8:50 AM, David Schulberg <davids@evertech.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started working through an article about building packages on Debian
> Linux (http://www.linux.com/articles/60383).
>
> All I want to achieve it to drop a couple of precompiled files into two
> different directories and the article doesn't seem to cover this simple
> aspect (as far as I can see).
>
> Can anyone point me to a beginner's guide to creating basic installation
> packages?
>
> Regards,
>  David Schulberg

Hello David,

the *most* basic thing you can do is to create a directory and then
inside that directory create the paths for the files you want to
install, ie:

~/package-0.1
~/package-0.1/usr/bin/package
~/package-0.1/etc/package.rc
~/package-0.1/DEBIAN/control
~/package-0.1/DEBIAN/changelog
~/package-0.1/DEBIAN/copyright

then you have to do is "dpkg -b /home/you/package-0.1" and that will
(probably) build a .deb files which will install the files you had
inside package-0.1. Of course this is the *WRONG* way to make a debian
package, not even ubuntu or any other debian-based distro would upload
that package to their servers ;)
my recomendation is: read Debian New Maintainers' Guide [1], has all
the info you might want (and more) plus, you will know how to make a
debian package in the right way so you can eventually contribute to
the universal os ;).

oh btw, "ignore" this line on the first page of the guide
-> "This revision of this document has been updated for the packages
in Debian 2.2 (`potato') and 3.0 (`woody')."
works perfectly on debian lenny aswell :)

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/