Re: Finding out why a Build-Dependency is fetched.

Hi!

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:56:46AM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> The building of a package should not produce a different package if
> some additional packages not listed in "Build-Conflicts" are
> installed.
>
> In other words, if you specifically do not want "atlas3-base-dev" to
> be present during the build then you should put it in
> "Build-Conflicts".

I am aware, but want to avoid it.

> I know that this does not explain why pbuilder is behaving the way it
> is but it seems to be a solution.

Well, here's a further diagnosis. For some reason, the order of
installed packages in the buildds (and my pbuilder) are being
reordered in alphabetical order.

See this old log. The apt-get command follows the same order as
specified in the package's Build-Depends:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=octave2.9&ver=1%3A2.9.17-1&arch=sparc&stamp=1195174810&file=log

But here, it is in alphabetical order:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=octave2.9&ver=1%3A2.9.19-1&arch=sparc&stamp=1197772112&file=log

And I saw the source package for octave2.9, here's the control:

Build-Depends: g++-4.1 (>= 4.1.1-4), debhelper (>= 5.0.0), autoconf, texinfo,
 texlive-latex-base, texlive-generic-recommended, g77,
 libreadline5-dev,
 libncurses5-dev, gperf, libhdf5-serial-dev (>= 1.6.5) |
 libhdf5-lam-dev (>= 1.6.5) | libhdf5-mpich-dev (>= 1.6.5),
 refblas3-dev | atlas3-base-dev, lapack3-dev | atlas3-base-dev,
 gnuplot-nox, fftw3-dev, texi2html, less, dpatch,
 slice, libpcre3-dev, flex, libglpk-dev (>= 4.15),
 libsuitesparse-dev, gawk, gs-gpl, libcurl4-dev, libqhull-dev,
 desktop-file-utils

Notice that refblas3-dev is _before_ lapack3-dev. Now, if apt-get is
called faithfully in this order, atlas does not come in. But if it is
reordered, the lapack3-dev dependencies are honoured first, and that
pulls in atlas3-base, which is the first alternate dependency, and is
satisfiable.

Now, the question is, where is the reordering occurring? sbuild?

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,