Re: Package stuck in NEW

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:24:39 +0100
Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> A package of mine has been stuck in NEW for 3 weeks without feedback

yorick-mpeg presumably? (It's always helpful to specify the package
name in queries to mentors.)

> from the ftp-masters. It was uploaded with three other packages which
> were eventually accepted.

How verbosely did you cover any possible queries over the legality of
mpeg usage in your package within debian/copyright?

Various mpeg elements have patent restrictions - I would suspect that
the main reason for the delay is the ftp-masters doing their job of
ensuring that your package is legal for Debian to distribute.

Don't expect the ftp-masters to know anything about yorick and ensure
that everything remotely relevant to patent / non-free issues are
verbosely and clearly described in debian/copyright. No other file is
relevant here, everything must be in debian/copyright.

If there are issues that you think you may have missed, upload a new
Debian version with all the extra docs added to debian/copyright. It
will join the NEW queue and be considered instead of the original
package.

> The next oldest package in NEW as been
> there for only one week. Should I react now and how?

No.

Problematic packages in NEW can easily take 8 weeks or more. Whilst it
is true that there is little to no feedback during this time, it
doesn't mean that your package is being ignored.

--

Neil Williams