policy for file headers

Dear Mentors;

Can someone point me to policy about file headers?  I am currently
looking at a package with a GPL copyright file in the top directory,
and a terse statment "copyright X, released under the GPL" in most,
but not all files. I think the files without copyright are
non-essential, and could in principle be removed. There seems to be
nothing reasonable to do as a packager about the lack of the usual
gpl boilerplate.

I understand that the best practice is to have a copyright statement
and a clear statement of license in every file of the source code.

What I don't know is if
1) This is a MUST dictated by policy as well as a SHOULD from best-practice?
2) Supposing it is a SHOULD, is the collective wisdom of the mentors
that if I want to get the package sponsored, I should get it fixed
anyway?  We could call this MENTORS-MUST :-).

Yours ignorantly,

David