Re: service helper package

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 04:49:26AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:01:50PM -0800, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
> > # Make sure the RUNDIR exists with correct permissions
> > if [ ! -d "$RUNDIR" ]; then
> Any reason not to include the rundir in the pacakge?  Then you don't
> have to manually remove it in the initscripts.

Spot the person who has never run a system with a tmpfs /var/run.  <grin>

> > # Check whether we were configured to not start the services.
> > check_for_no_start() {
> >     if [ "$SERVICE_DISABLED" = "yes" ]; then
> This is probably a good idea to be generally and consistently
> supported.  OTOH removing the execute bit or renaming the daemon file
> already works most (90%) of the time.

No, this is a bad idea and should never be supported.  If you don't want
something to start at boot, then shuffle the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d.  If you
never want the possibility of the service being run, then remove the
package.

These "disable-the-service-in-/etc/default" hacks preclude the ability to
disable a service at boot but sometimes start it manually, and work around
the existing mechanisms for avoiding starting a daemon at boot time.

- Matt