Re: RFS: python-nouvelle

Il giorno Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:45:10 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> ha scritto:

> If you need a very fast sponsoring I can recomment to
> - join the Python Modules team [1]

I'm a member already :) (never contributed though)

> - maintain your package in the svn there

Good, svn-injecting it.

> - join #debian-python on the OFTC network and ask for sponsoring there.

I'll ask on the list, I connect only when I have some free time :)

> Here are a few things I found while looking trough your package:
> - the source is name nouvelle - why do you rename it? not a problem to
> build a package with a different name from it.

Well, it's not a stand-alone program, it's a Python Module. AFAIK, Python
Modules must be named python-foo. I'm kinda used to contributing to Pkg-Perl
team, and there we *must*, *MUST* use lib<foo>-perl if it's a module. I believe
Python Policy states that too, I'm not really sure though (and don't really
have the time to go and look :().

> - debian/copyright: the LGPL/GPL in common-licenses are links, pointing
> to version 3. The software is licensed under version 2, so you should
> use LGPL-2 instead.

Good catch. I didn't notice the change into /usr/share/common-licenses. Fixing
the note, thank you.

> - did you ping upstream with your patch for setup.py?

Not yet, I planned to do it this afternoon :)

> - you could build-depend on python-all instead of python and run the
> build target for all python versions, so you'll get a QA FTBFS mail if
> something doesn't work with new python versions. Look at the html5lib
> debian/rules file if you need an example, it's in the team's svn.

Great. I've learned a lot today with this :)
But... lintian now complains about python-all staying in B-D instead of B-D-I.
As far as I can remember, shouldn't the clean target be satisfied in B-D? This
means that "python" must be present in B-D. Should I add both, python in B-D
and python-all in B-D-I? It sounds weird to me.

However, lintian didn't complain when I put python-all in B-D-I and nothing in
B-D.

> - you have several dh_* calls in debian/rules which are not needed here,
> for example dh_strip.

Missed that, fixed.

> - That's the wrong directory:
> 0 bzed@hal:/tmp$ dpkg-deb -c python-nouvelle_1.0-1_all.deb | grep
> lib/python | head -1
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-11-04 13:41 ./lib/python2.4/
>
> You want to use --root=... instead of --prefix=....

Fixed as well, thank you.

(as you might have understood, I'm rather new to Python packaging ;) )

> That's all for now, hope to see you in the team :)

I hope I can come :)

Should I write to debian-python@l.d.o or to python-modules-team@l.a.d.o ?

Kindly,
David