Re: New packaging advice, manpages and binary additions

2007/10/15, Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@gmail.com>:
> Second issue is how do I add a binary file, eg an icon (xpm), to the
> source tree?. The applicaiton is a X11 QT app and so it would be nice
> to have a menu icon but upstream does not have one. Clearly the ideal
> situation is to get upstream to add one but untill that happens is it
> possible to just add an icon to the source tree with out
> "unrepresentable changes" messages when running dpkg-buildpackage ?

You can also add PNG images by converting and unconverting them to
ASCII text format with SNG:
- http://packages.debian.org/sng
- http://sng.sourceforge.net/

"SNG (Scriptable Network Graphics) is a minilanguage designed
specifically to represent the entire contents of a PNG (Portable
Network Graphics) file in an editable form. Thus, SNGs representing
elaborate graphics images and ancillary chunk data can be readily
generated or modified using only text tools. SNG is implemented by a
compiler/decompiler called sng that losslessly translates between SNG
and PNG."

For generic binary files, you'll probably have to uuencode them in the
package source, so you can add them to the diff file, and uudecode
them in your debian/rules script when creating the binary packages
from it. Quite hacky, I know, but there's no nice and clean way to do
it that I know of, for the moment.

Greetings,
Miry