Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath error message

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:35:30PM -0700, varun_shrivastava wrote:

> Justin Pryzby-43 wrote:
> > You shouldn't set rpath to /usr/lib since it's in the default search
> > path.
> >
> I haven't set the path any where in the rules file. but i am trying to
What I meant was "one should not set rpath to /usr/lib" or "rpath
should not be set to /usr/lib".  Is there some arguments to
./configure you can pass to inhibit setting rpath?  Otherwise you'll
have to munge the upstream build system to get rid of it.

> Justin Pryzby-43 wrote:
> >
> > You have to supply a ./debian/shlibs file in any package that includes
> > public shared libraries (/usr/lib/*.so.*).  It gets installed to
> > /usr/lib/dpkg/info/ and searched by dh_shlibdeps when building
> > packages to find on what package,version to add a dependency for a
> > given objdump -p |grep -we NEEDED line.
> Do i need to provide <package-name>.shlibs or shlibs.local file in debian
> directory.
packagename.shlibs is what gets installed to /v/l/d/i.  shlibs.local
is an additional thing read by dpkg-shlibdeps for cases when someone
elses public library package doesn't include packagename.shlibs.  In
this case dpkg wouldn't otherwise be able to find the library package
to add as a dependency.

Justin