Re: How package a binary library with unversioned soname?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:51:41AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Nikolaus Schulz <microschulz@web.de> writes:
> > Doesn't dumping several upstream tarballs in one Debian source package
> > require something like that?
>
> No, they're unrelated.

I guess you mean that in a very strict sense...  We're talking about
merging tightly related upstream packages because they may not warrant
stand-alone Debian packages, aren't we?

> Dumping unrelated tarballs together requires
> repackaging the upstream source to create a custom .orig.tar.gz file,
> documenting how you did that (I prefer doing so in debian/copyright), and
> ideally creating a get-orig-source debian/rules target to redo the work on
> an automated basis.

Okay.  I did consider such repackaging, but reading the developers
reference regarding that topic made me very reluctant to do so.
It's good to see this as a reasonable option; the actual composing of
the right set of Debian packages will have to wait until I have the
necessary understanding of all involved components.

Thanks!
Nikolaus