Multiple binary packages

I've been trying to build multiple packages from one source using the
example given in

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/04/msg00347.html and
http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=42

as an example. debuild seems to fall over with

configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in "." "./.." "./../.."
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 1228:
debian/rules build failed

but it seems to me that writing the appropriate package.install files
should be enough. This doesn't seem to be doing the trick in the
packages (tesseract-ocr and tesseract-ocr-dev) that I am working on.

Is there more to it than just the package.install files, or does my
mistake lie elsewhere?

Regards

Jeff