Re: How package a binary library with unversioned soname?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:29:18PM +0200, Nikolaus Schulz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 12:57:06AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I personally am not particularly uncomfortable with shipping binary
> > packages that use RPATH to find libraries in a subdirectory of /usr/lib,
> > provided that they have a tight dependency on exactly the version of the
> > library package they need (which for this application you'll probably need
> > anyway).  Other people may differ.

Oh, sorry, obviously I didn't read that properly!  I thought the use of
RPATH was restricted to private libraries *which are not shipped as
separate packages*.

Okay, just to be sure: you suggest making a separate library package,
but putting the libs in /usr/lib/<libpackage> and RPATH-linking the
binaries, right?  That is, treating the library as private, although it
is a separate package.  Phew.

I guess then there would be no need for a -dev package?  Hmm.  Upstream
has included the necessary header files in every pacakage which needs
them.  Of course the packages would still need to build-depend upon the
libraries, to make the linking succeed.  No problem.

dpkg-shlibdeps would still choke upon the unversioned soname, but I
could just hard-code the library dependency and be done with it.  There
would be no shlibs file.  Again no problem, right?

Well, if you say this approach is acceptable and if I don't find a snag,
then I'll probably go for it. --

Okay, I've ripped the thread apart a bit, sorry.  Please don't ignore
the rest of my previous post.

Thanks,
Nikolaus