Re: How to start porting to a new ARCHITECTURE?

Hello David,

Am 2007-09-17 19:46:20, schrieb David Given:
> You've got two major tasks ahead of you:
>
> - - port gcc

OK, it seems that parts of gcc went used under Windows...
Maybe it will "easy" to port it native to Linux.

> - - port the kernel

Since it is a All-In-On-Chip, there is not realy much hardware support
needed.  Floppy, CF-Disks as external controlers, USB is On-Chip same
for LAN, serial, ...

> - - cross-compile a basic userland

:-/

> For the former, you'll need to write a new gcc backend targeting your
> architecture, and then add support to binutils to allow programs to be linked.
> This is not easy. gcc's innards tend to drive people mad.

While reading a little bit the gcc documentation, I am realy confuse
WHERE to start and HOW!

> Once you have a compiler, you can then port the kernel --- this will require
> development hardware with a good debugger (or, preferably, a reliable emulator
> with built-in debugger support). You'll be wading neck-deep in the inside of
> the kernel, although I gather it's not as bad as it used to be these days.
>
> Now you have both a compiler and a kernel, you can use your compiler to
> generate a userland --- as set of basic binaries to get your system up and
> running --- and then boot your new system. This isn't too difficult, although
> cross-compiling on gcc has its own horrors.
>
> Once you've got it reliably self-hosted, you're most of the way there ---
> setting up a basic Debian port is relatively straightforward.

"Self-Hosted" is "my" target since I have had MANY horrors with
cross-compiling

> I'd suggest looking up a gcc and linux-kernel mailing list and asking there
> for more detailed info.

OK, I am on the LKM, but do you know a suitable "gcc" MAILINGLIST?
(I can not use NEWSGROUPS over GSM and since I can use E-Mail for
free using iMode... :-))  )

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)