How can we get people to write better RFSes?

scripsit Neil Williams:

> The bare RFS template is inadequate 95% of the time - it is not a
> fault of the template, it is a problem with the maintainer not
> "filling in the gaps" with sufficient detail. This applies to most RFS
> emails, it's not specific to any one maintainer.

_This_ is a subject worth discussing.  How can we, perhaps, improve the
template or the documentation on mentors.d.n so that we can improve the
`hit rate', as it were.

I would suggest (and the number of RFSes which you find inadequate seems
to support this idea) that the instructions on the Web site do not go
far enough in explaining what is needed.  A first-time user could very
well assume, I believe, that what is expected is to fill the blanks in
the RFS template and the rest is self-explanatory.

For example, _I_ assumed that since the page on the upload clearly
showed `Closes: #xxxxxx', I didn't need to mention that in the RFS.  If
convention is that one _should_ do so, we would save everyone a lot of
time if the template included that.  If packages formerly but not
currently in unstable are a special case (and I think they are), then
having some guidelines on how to handle them would be very helpful.
Rather than getting frustrated about expectations not being met, why
don't we talk about how we can communicate those expectations more
clearly so nobody gets to be disappointed, aggravated, irritated, or
generally misanthropic.

I did not see your personal guidelines for sponsorship until well after
our initial encounter, as it is not very prominent on the site.

Since you read so many RFSes, Neil, could you give us a list of, say,
your top-ten pet peeves about things would-be sponsees screw up?
(Without naming names, in the interest of keeping temperatures under
flashpoint *grin*).  Then we could talk about what we can do to
encourage future RFS submitters _not_ to make the same mistakes.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Candidate, Department of History, and