Advice on HTML docs

homebank was the subject of an RFS some time ago and had problems with
non-GPL licenced SVG images (which, I admit, I completely missed).

These were fixed and I uploaded a new upstream version provided by the
maintainer but it was rejected because there is no source for the HTML
documentation.

"
rejected, the source of doc/*.html is missing. If you look into the
files you see a "Generator" Metatag pointing at GuideML. According
to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GuideML) thats a
meta-language used to generate files out of it.
"

The history is this: The HTML docs were (once upon a time) created
using an Amiga application before the port to Ubuntu/Debian. Upstream
now maintain the docs using text editors rather than automated tools -
upstream just haven't removed the generator meta tags. The maintainer
put a note to this effect in README.Debian prior to the rejection.

The docs themselves are nicely done and there is no good reason to
recommend one of the standard automated documentation tools which
would tend to produce a less polished output overall.

README.Debian in the rejected package contains:

homebank for Debian
-------------------

Homebank is a project born for the amiga, now the author has migrated it
to GTK+, the primary development target is linux, but the roadmap
previews a macOS port (quite done) and a window$ port.

PATCHES TO HTML DOCUMENTATION
-----------------------------
If you want to contribute enhancing the html feel free to send patches
to the upstream author or to the maintainers of homebank. Consider that
the documentation is made using a normal text editor, so a simple patch
is fine.

 -- Francesco Namuri <francesco@namuri.it>  Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:57:09
+0200

Does Debian really need to ask upstream for a new release with the
meta tags tweaked when there is notice that a normal text editor is used
for the docs?

The generator tag is historical - an artefact of the original migration
from Amiga. OK, README.Debian could be a bit more explicit I know, but
what else can / should be done to allow homebank into Debian without
requiring a new upstream release?

--

Neil Williams