Re: RHS: libterm-ansicolor-ruby

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:53:12PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> I am a bit curious why should someone not want to use curses
> but ansi escapes in ruby?

While curses is great for talking to terminals or terminal-like
devices/applications, there are times when you may need to send bare
ANSI or similar escape sequences to non-terminal-like destinations
(files, raw sockets, et cetera). At least in C and Python (not a
Ruby fellow myself), I've not had a lot of luck using curses
libraries/modules to talk to anything that didn't look like a
terminal.

Of course, I can't imagine an ANSI library would be anything more
than a few dozen string constant definitions, unless you wanted
routines to recognize and condense inefficient ANSI sequences into
something denser, consisting of fewer characters (most the ANSI art
apps create some extremely verbose/pedantic strings which can be
distilled quite a lot).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);