Re: Man pages and UTF-8

Le Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 10:54:27AM +0100, David Given a écrit :

> The package I'm putting together has no man page and the author is Japanese,
> which means I have to write one; as a courtesy, I'd like to put the kanji-form
> of his name in the AUTHORS section as well as the romanji. Unfortunately, it
> would appear that using kanji characters in a man page is non-trivial as the
> encoding for English man pages seems to default to ISO-8859-1.

Dear David,

You can refer to the following post of Noridata Kobayashi on this list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/03/msg00378.html

Apparently, the encoding of the manpages is hardcoded, so you have no
other choice than using the default encoding for english...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org