"Problem" with git while packaging

[ I think this is not suited for -user, so asking here. ]

Dear Mentors,

I started using git for packaging because serveral people at DebConf
where really enthusiastic about it. So far, I can totally understand
why. It's just great!

Nevertheless, a "problem" I run into is the following: I started a new
package, importing stuff with git-import-orig. I made some patches to
the autotools system. The problem I have is that patching configure.ac
requires autoreconf to run which modiefies several file. Those are under
version control already and can't be ignored by using a .gitignore file.

So I wonder if there are best practices to deal with that and I'd like
your opinion on that. One thing that came to my mind is putting
a .gitignore file in the repository before running git-import-orig to
prevent those from being under version control. The other solution would
be to manually extract the tarball and choose the upstream files to
track by hand or simply ignore them being listed in git-status output.

The other question I have: Has anyone experience with using stgit for
packaging. I'm very happy with quilt but stgit looks like an alternative
that provides the same functionality on top the VCS I already use.

Best regards
Manuel