bypassing required libraries check exporting DEPS_CFLAGS and DEPS_LIBS

Hi,
I'm trying to package gtkol-ldap a ldap client, I think it's a good
program, the problem is that when I try to build it I get an error for a
required lib that I have installed but because  a bug it is not detected
correctly, I've found a trick to avoid it but I don't know if it's a
good solution or if it's a bad way to do the package... So I ask mentors
for comments :)

gtkol-ldap requires libgenerics-dev and libgtkol-dev but when it calls
"pkg-config --cflags libgtkol-1.4" it fails because of bug #427213, I've
reported this bug 42 days ago but without any response, so now I'm
trying to bypass this, exporting DEPS_CFLAGS and DEPS_LIBS to bypass the
check of required libraries in the configure script.

It's a so bad solution?

cheers,
francesco

--