Re: OpenBook (O'Reilly) packing or Debian

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes:

> For some time I have downloaded the entired OpenBook folder of O'Reilly
> and packed if to my own use and my friends.

> Since the O'Reilly License permit redistribution I now ask here, whether
> it is worth to file an ITP/RFS for those Documentations.

A spot-check of a few of the books linked to under:

    http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/

shows a depressing lack of any explicit license statements on many of
these works.  I believe they'd have to be checked one-by-one to see if
they're even distributable in non-free.

For example:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

has the GFDL appended to the book, but I see no explicit statement that
the book is actually under the GFDL and, if so, what if any invariant
sections there are.  Without that information, it's impossible to tell if
the package can go in main or non-free.