Title: ...
Author: ...
Abstract: <short abstract>
 <long version>
[snip]
libittp-doc should be Section: doc and Architecture: all because it
[snip]

I'll do this as well.

Hmm. The pbuilder log still shows gcc-3.4 being installed. You appear
to build depend on two different fortran packages:
refblas3-dev  Fortran 77 reference implementation
lapack3-dev library of linear algebra routines 3

lapack3 Depends on libg2c0 (>= 1:3.4.4-5) which brings in gcc-3.4
again. lapack3 is also an old package (2005).

I'll look into this. What is the alternative to lapack?

> Right now, I've just removed the atlas3 dependency. Please check it
> out, and I'll also talk to upstream about it. However, I don't think
> features are lost by this change. If anything, performance will be
> affected, to the best of my understanding.

I'm not sure it will - atlas is still shown as an alternative to
rfblas3 in the dependency list of the libittp6 package.

I saw that. So, should we leave things as they are, since atlas isn't
actually pulled in by default?

> I accept this advice. But note that it is highly unlikely that a
> mathematical simulation type toolkit type library like IT++ will have
> any applications based on it, though the possibility cannot be
> discounted.

Nonetheless, libraries are still more difficult to get right than an
application.

I accept. It's been a learning experience, and I've faced many
problems with this.

This does, however, raise a different issue - is there some way I can
test the package?

I think I added a make check or make check-local to the 3.10 series.
That runs many test. See this:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=libitpp;ver=3.10.11-1;arch=ia64;stamp=1181111650

As sponsor, it is important for me to know that the package I built
(which is the one actually uploaded) does work. The package appears to
support a 'make check' command. I did a test build on this amd64 box
and adding a '$(MAKE) check' line in the build-stamp: target after
$(MAKE) took less time than building the docs. I would recommend making
this a default command in the build-stamp rule, wrapped in a build
option:
ifeq (,$(findstring nocheck,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        $(MAKE) check
endif

I actually _did_ this for the 3.10 series, but forgot to do it. *Sigh*
I guess I'm just learning how imperfect I am...

Thanks for the patient response. Since I am not on my sid machine
anymore today, I can't do anything till tomorrow morning. So, will
prepare things with the changes you mentioned.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,