Request for additions to the mentors RFS template

I'd like to ask if the template could advise/require that certain extra
fields are always specified?

1. An ITP usually includes a "Language: C/C++/Python/Perl etc." line, so
for requests for sponsors, it would be good to carry this over so that
packages that already exist in the archive also carry this information
in the RFS. It would help me enormously to be able to scan the RFS and
disregard all python or ruby packages and concentrate on C/C++ or Perl
without having to research each one via various web pages.

2. I frequently find that the short description of RFS emails is
insufficient and I would value the opportunity to scan RFS emails that
include the long description. Descriptions are commonly tweaked during
the process of sponsorship as it is rare that a new maintainer makes a
genuinely understandable short and long description on their first
attempt and existing packages can also suffer from poor descriptions.

3. The URL field is commonly just the URL for the mentors.debian.net
site (which itself is often little more than the template) when it
would be useful to either recommend the upstream homepage or include
that separately - naturally, if the long description is included, a lot
of packages will include this anyway. (Those that do not include a
Homepage link in the long description should expect to be asked to add
one.)

4. Some kind of statement in the template that a bare template with
minimal information is usually insufficient.

Those who may want to ask me to sponsor their packages, please note -
if you include this information in the very first RFS email to this
list, you have a much higher chance of attracting my interest. In most
cases, a bare template RFS will simply be ignored, regardless of the
merits of that particular package.

Personally, I expect people requesting sponsorship to be enthusiastic
about the package to be sponsored. I would expect such enthusiasm to
manifest as a tendency to include too much information rather than too
little and I am prone to disregarding requests for sponsorship
that suffer from a lack of information in the original RFS.

--

Neil Williams