Re: Advice on packaging SAGE

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> I see it as violating clause 6:

>  No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

>  The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
>  specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
>  from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

I think this is an indefensible stretch.  You're basically arguing that
violating the license terms is a field of endeavor.  I don't think any
license other than public domain would survive that argument.

> Depending of the wording, the citation clauses forbid the usage of the
> programs for works published in articles which do not proprerly cite the
> program.

So you believe the four-clause BSD license violates the DFSG?  It contains
the clause:

* 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
*    must display the following acknowledgement:
*      This product includes software developed by the University of
*      California, Berkeley and its contributors.

I believe this is not the interpretation being applied by the ftpmasters,
who are the final authorities on licenses in Debian.  The four-clause BSD
license is not a particularly good idea, but I believe it's always been
considered DFSG-free.

Or am I missing some subtlety of your argument?