RFP: phylographer -- Graph Visualization Tool

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

  Package name    : phylographer
  Version         : April 03 2003
  Upstream Author : Alexander Kozik (mailto:akozik@atgc.org)
  URL             : http://www.atgc.org/PhyloGrapher/PhyloGrapher_Welcome.html
  License         : GPL
  Programming Lang: Tcl/Tk
  Description     : Graph Visualization Tool

 PhyloGrapher is a program designed to visualize and study evolutionary
 relationships within families of homologous genes or proteins
 (elements).  PhyloGrapher is a drawing tool that generates custom graphs
 for a given set of elements. In general, it is possible to use
 PhyloGrapher to visualize any type of relations between elements.
 Used in conjunction with tcl_blast_parser, PhyloGrapher can represent
 the results of a BLAST search as a graph.
 .
  Homepage: http://www.atgc.org/PhyloGrapher/PhyloGrapher_Welcome.html

I just started to use tcl_blast_parser and PhyloGrapher today, and they
are useful tools to analyse BLAST biological sequence alignment reports
(BLAST is provided by Debian's blast2 package).

I think that phylographer would be an easy package to prepare. Maybe the
longest part of the work would be manpage writing. This is the reason
why I did not file an ITP: I already have a long queue of manpages to
write...

I would recommend to add the standalone script tcl_blast_parser to the
source package, and to distribute it as a separate binary pacakge (it
does not require a window manager, in contrary to PhyloGrapher). I am
enquiring about the license of tcl_blast_parser parser to its author.

http://www.atgc.org/BlastParser/Blast_Parser.html

I am quite confident that this pacakge would easily find a sponsor if
needed.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy,