Re: RFS: debomatic

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:55:54 +0200
Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "debomatic".
>
> * Package name    : debomatic
>   Version         : 0.2.1-1
>   Upstream Author : Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@ubuntu.com>
> * URL             : http://debomatic.linuxdc.it/
> * License         : GPL
>   Section         : utils
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> debomatic  - Automatic build machine for Debian source packages

It's based on pbuilder and debootstrap but what - EXACTLY - does it add
to these two? Bear in mind I'm writing a cross-building buildd for
Emdebian that uses code from pbuilder and passes commands to
debootstrap and that is a much more difficult task than the one
outlined for debomatic. If there was a need for debomatic, it would
already exist - lo and behold: pdebuild. (Hence the Emdebian version to
cross-build inside a debootstrap chroot is empdebuild.)

Building source packages - without changes - that have already been
built, uploaded and rebuilt for all the Debian architectures is trivial
- I see no need for your package unless it adds something completely
new, like cross-building, automatic optimisation of dependencies,
automated upgrade to the latest standards version, fix for all old
compat issues or all existing lintian errors. pdebuild runs lintian too
and it isn't exactly hard to knock up a bash wrapper that can run linda
once the build is complete.

It seems to me that your package does nothing more than pdebuild and
the most basic bash scripting. Please explain, in detail, how your
package is better than:
$ apt-get source foo
$ cd foo-1.2.3/
$ pdebuild

(It is not sufficient to just say that it does this in one operation,
any user can knock up a bash script that does that, just from the
above - and include 'sudo pbuilder update' etc.)

http://buildd.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/host/trunk/emdebian-tools/trunk/pbuilder

--

Neil Williams