Re: Handling of configuration files not shipped with a newer package version

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 03:00:31PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 26.05.2007, 00:36 -0400 schrieb Justin Pryzby:
> > On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 04:08:32AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> > > , purging
> > > docbook-xml will not purge all configuration directories anymore:
> > >
> > > dpkg - warning: while removing docbook-xml, directory `/etc/xml' not empty so not removed.
> > I think this should work with etch dpkg?
>
> Tested in an Etch pbuilder chroot. It produces the warnings I posted.
> dpkg -L does list /etc/sgml/docbook-xml/3.1.7/dbgenent.ent as part of
> docbook-xml after update, but it doesn't
> list /etc/sgml/docbook-xml/3.1.7 anymore. A mis-behaviour of dpkg?
I think the logic is supposed to be that dpkg doesn't warn until after
postrm purge phase, since the maintscripts are supposed to act as a
kind of dpkg "module" and the user shouldn't be bugged just because
there's a config file which is not a conffile.  Also added I think was
that dpkg would keep reattempting removal of dirs at relevant times
after the first attempt after the conffiles in that dir were removed.

Justin