Re: Fix a bug located in a dependency

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 10:56:08AM +0000, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really would like to hear you oppinion about the following matter:
> Package A depends on libB. There's a bug in libB. A bug report was files
> to package A, because the submitter spotted the bug in package A.
>
> What would you, as maintainer of package A, do?
>
> What do you think about leaving the bug report as is and close it by
> adding a dependency on the next release of libB, that fixes the bug.
>
> My personal opinion is that this is a bug in libB and I would reassign
> the bug to this package.

This is something I've been wondering for a while. There is a problem
with the way we traditionally handle bugs, because it may lead users to
file duplicate bugs.

A standard example of this are bugs in applications that are due to bugs
in libraries they depend on. Users would report bugs on the application,
but it would be reassigned to the library. Next users reporting the bug
would not see it in the list of bugs for the application with reportbug.

Mike