unicode in setup.py file causing RC bug

I maintain the package rpl, which today received an RC bug

because it FTBFS in an autobuild on Lucas.

The reason it failed is due to the use of unicode for the author's
name in the setup.py file.

distutils (for the setup.py file) is part of python
which is part of the python module distutils.

I see two options for fixing this:

    1. Remove the unicode from the author's name and spell it using
    ascii.

    or

    2. Reassign the bug to the main python package.

I'm not much in favor of #1 because we should be able to get
names correct.

I favor #2 as it does seem to be a bug in python. I found the
following regarding the bug:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/distutils-sig@python.org/msg03007.html

So just looking for a little guidance in case I missed something
before I proceed.

Thanks
Kevin

--