Re: please, review and enhance "How to split a package into several smaller packages"

On Sunday 29 April 2007 16:08, André Felipe Machado wrote:
> I am studying Debian packaging (someday I will ask for a sponsor and
> start the nm process) and some time ago realized a lack of documentation
> about spliting a package into multiple binaries.
> Since them, collected many hints and links, by searching net and from
> mentors, and now wrote a small how-to at the wiki.
> Please, review and enhance the page
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PkgSplit

Actually, I think your example is unnecessarily complicated. In most cases,
one can simply let "make install" do its job with
DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp, call dh_install with --sourcedir=debian/tmp,
make sure that all the debhelper installation list files in debian/ (install,
docs, examples, manpages etc.) are named $package.$type (package1.install,
package2.docs etc.), and, *if* the source packages builds arch-specific *and*
arch-independent packages, that the debhelper scripts called from the
binary-indep and binary-arch targets are called with -i and -a, respectively.
There's generally no need for one target per binary package (unless one wants
to do away with *all* the list files), and generally just one install target.
Although it's nice if one can run, say, debian/rules binary/package1 to build
just package1, that's not required. All tips and tricks beyond the basic
level should be presented separately, IMHO.

The dpatch section seems to be outside the scope of your tutorial. There's
nothing about dpatch that makes it particularly better suited for
multi-binary source packages, and nothing in that text is specific to this
kind of packages.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)