Re: staying in stable but compiling for sid

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 05:33:29PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

>     I want to run software only from Stable (ie Etch) when I am doing
> non-debian related work. However, when I am doing debian related work
> (ex :- fixing some bugs in the BTS) I want to work in unstable (ex :-
> compile packages for sid). Is this kind of think possible?

  You have several choices here:

    * Use pbuilder to setup a build environment.
      "heavyweight" but simple.

    * Use chroots for building.
      simple and well understood.

  These two choices suffer in that you can't get a graphical
 environment within them.  So if you build a package for sid
 which used Xorg you couldn't test it.

  To solve that problem you could look at using something else:

    * Xen
      Complex to setup perhaps, but flexible.

    * Qemu
      Simple to setup, but may be too slow.