Re: Adding quilt to the new maintainer guide.

Hi Charles,
* Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> [2007-04-13 12:11]:
> [Thread broken to avoid thread hijacking]
>
> Le Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 01:48:18AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> > a lot of packages already use dpatch or quilt, which makes adding
> > new patches to the build process pretty easy. If they're not used
> > yet - adding the neccessary stuff to debian/rules is well explained
> > in the examples. Have a look into the documentation which ships with
> > the dpatch and quilt packages (dpatch is more simple to handle, but
> > quilt is the better system - YMMV).
>
> kunpuu|~|$ ls /usr/share/doc/quilt/
> AUTHORS              changelog.gz  quilt.html    quilt.quiltrc  README.gz       TODO
> changelog.Debian.gz  copyright     quilt.pdf.gz  quilt.txt.gz   README.MAIL.gz
>
> 	I never found any documentation on how to use quilt in Debian
> source pacakges. The reason is of course that it is really simple, but
> how can we guess the name of the file which plays the role of 00list
> for dpatch?

From man quilt:
A  file  called series contains a list of patch file names
that defines the order in which patches are applied.

> The man page of quilt is horribly complex and hides the
> fact that using it in a similar way to dpatch or cdbs is very
> straightforward.
>
> kunpuu|~|$ lynx --dump 'http://wiki.debian.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=quilt&titlesearch=Titres' | grep results
>    0 results of about 7742 pages. (0.18 seconds)
>
> 	Writing "quilt" in the search box of wiki.d.o and pressing
> enter gives nothing. (Okay, I relalised later that there is a "Search
> in text" button")

I agree with you that it is quite hard to find online
documentation about quilt but imho the manual is pretty
good.

> 	Nevertheless, I tried quilt this week and I like it a
> lot. Actually, I find it simpler than dpatch because it is not
> necessary to convert the patches to a special format. I would like to
> submit a patch to the new maintainer guide to promote quilt together
> with dpatch. Shall I send a bug report directly, or shall we discuss
> the patch on this list before ?

I would welcome it to discuss it before since different
pacakgers, different packaging :) But I agree, would be cool
to have them both in the maintainers guide.
Kind regards
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://ngolde.de - nion@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF