Re: make or $(MAKE) ?

On Saturday 07 April 2007 13:36, Charles Plessy wrote:
> As one of the program I package was recently automakified, I had to
> change debian/rules to deal with this. While comparing with other
> packages, I realised that often $(MAKE) is used instead of make in
> debian/rules. In case of trivial packages which do not seem to expect
> something fancy from the enviroment, are both commands equivalent ?

Reading the documentation, the difference between make and $(MAKE), apart from
the obvious difference when $(MAKE) is set to something other than "make", is
that using $(MAKE) ensures that the --touch, --just-print, and --question
options work as you'd want them to, namely by recursively calling $(MAKE)
despite the fact that those options mean that no commands actually be
executed. Thus, in normal build invocations the difference doesn't matter,
but it helps with some "manual" uses.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)