Re: From local source tree to Debian package

Le Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:49:55PM -0400, Asheesh Laroia a écrit :
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> >Writing a bunch of 'cp' or 'install' commands in the 'debian/rules' file
> >seems like drudgery and is certainly prone to error. What tools are
> >there to assist Debian packagers in making this task more automated?
>
> Well, "make install" typically puts them somewhere - see the use of CURDIR
> in the new maintainers guide, like at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html .

Hi all,

I am sometimes wondering what is the best approach for packages with no
makefiles :

a) dh_install,
b) Write a Makefile, submit it to Upstream, and ship it in the debian
   directory in the meantime. (as a patch ? as a file to be moved in at
   the begining of the install rule in debian/rules ?).

The advantage of b) is that it then contributes to trivialise the
packaging rules, especially if it is incorporated upstream.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org