Re: Native package versus orig

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:29:56PM +0100, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Hi mentors,
>
> When packaging for Debian you have two distinct ways of doing it,
> native versus orig.
>
> My question is, if I am in close contact with upstream and upstream
> always adds my patches to upstream source is there then any reason for
> not choosing a native package? My changes file is empty except for the
> Debian changelog.

Yes.  Native packages are usually for packages designed specifically for
Debian and not intended to be used elsewhere.  Even then, I believe it
is still discouraged to create native package.

Look at it this way.  When you upload and forget a build-time dependency
or something trivial, will upstream make a whole new release for you?
Even if they do, is that smart?  Also, a native package means that there
is no .diff.gz.  That means that every version creates a new
.orig.tar.gz which consumes more mirror space.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez